Thursday, January 7, 2010

Welcome to Month 5

Heres a chance to catch up on the last 5 months and learn a little bit about me!

A Little About Me.
I’m a second year Arts and Business student at the University of Waterloo and I am majoring in legal studies. I’m not so sure where that will take me yet but I am hoping to work in international or family law. I grew up in a small town but my community is about to get a whole lot bigger. As a University of Waterloo student I have gotten the chance to be involved with a program called Beyond Borders. BB is a program through St. Jerome’s University that allows undergraduate students a chance to use their studies for the benefit of others while promoting involvement in the global community. Not only do we get to spend a term volunteering abroad in a variety of placements, but we also spend 8 months preparing for the trip. Welcome to month 5!! We have each set up a blog to share our journeys with people like you. Thank you for your support!

September 2010.
Next September I with be travelling to Madurai, India to volunteer with a service learning program at Lady Doak College. http://www.ladydoak.org/ Lady Doak is a Christian women’s college where service work is requirement for graduation. I don’t know what I will specifically be doing there yet but it is my understanding that they are involved in multiple service programs including work with orphanages, inmate rehabilitative services, and children with disabilities to name a few. I am really interested in working in India but beyond that I’m pretty open to any kind of work. I would be happy in any of these placements. I am really excited to be living and working with university students from another country and getting to learn from them. In the coming months I will have more information on the placement and I will keep everyone posted!

Learning from Last Term.
Monday meant the start of a new term and I can admit with relief that I felt a whole lot more prepared walking into the classroom than I did 4 months ago. Last term in RS 283 we looked at examples of oppression, learned from those who fought against it, explored ways to become a more fulfilled human being and got inspired by people who have dedicated their lives to helping others – and that barely touches the surface! It is hard to describe just what last term meant, but for me it certainly meant a lot of growing up and learning about myself. Going into Beyond Borders I had no experience in looking at these types of issues or exploring humanity. Day 1 sitting around a table with 11 other students who seemed so much older and so much more experienced was terrifying. What had I gotten myself into?? But the term went on and you know what? I made it! It was a challenge- my “Organizational Gold” tendencies were completely thrown by the free structure of the assignments and class discussions. But as frustrated as I got at times I don’t think I would change it. It pushed me outside what I was comfortable with and forced me to adapt – I really don’t think there’s any better prep for life abroad. I don’t really know how or exactly when it happened but all of a sudden I feel like I’m ready for this. Some of my friends have commented on how much I’ve changed this term. It’s not a specific in way or in a type of behavior, I just feel like I’m doing what I’m supposed to do and I’m where I am supposed to be, and apparently it’s noticeable. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment