Friday, January 29, 2010

In Need of Some Inspiration

I’ve been so busy lately, I feel a little out of touch with what is going on in the world around me. I love being back home with my friends and family and I love that I have found a new place hat I can feel like I’m giving back even just a little to my supportive community, however I miss the global learning and exposure that the diversity that university life allows me. At school there are always new issues brought to light, always students working toward a new cause, there is always someone to learn something new from especially when working with people as dedicated and compassionate as my fellow Beyond Borders students. Today I found some time to catch up on some of your blogs. You all share such inspirational and insightful stories and it really made me realize how much I miss getting to talk everyone! As I was pondering what to write my blog about this week I couldn’t help but think that my blogs would be a whole lot more interesting if I still had the same depth of discussion with other students as I did last semester. As stressed as I would get, trying to get through reading whatever book was due for class each week and trying to come up with some deeper, more insightful message that I felt would be up to par for class on Tuesday, those discussions were extraordinarily beneficial. It was weekly reassurance that the stress was well outweighed by the work that we will all being getting the chance to participate in. Even in classes where I would feel less comfortable sharing my thoughts, and I would opt to do more listening than speaking, I grew so much from hearing all of you share your thoughts and opinions and letting my view of the world grow. I loved running back from class and sharing what I learned from all the readings and discussions with anyone who had never read the book or article. My boyfriend Mike got a phone call every Tuesday like clockwork, during which I would just gush to him about all the amazing things I had learned or about how he just HAD to read such and such a book because it would just totally change his outlook on the world!! But now I feel like getting slightly off topic and I want to make my point. I really miss getting to read books and articles by authors like Jean Vanier or Paulo Freire or Ursela Le Guin because they truly made me think about the world I live in, the impact that I have on others and what is truly important to me. I realize I am missing that constant motivation, reassurance and growth that reading these authors’ stories gave me. And so, I have decided that what I need right now is to get back to reading those kinds of works. I have some books in mind that Joanne mentioned over the course of the term but I would also like to reach out to my blogging community for some suggestions. If there is anything that any of you have seen or read lately that made you think twice or inspired you I would love to hear about it! Hopefully next week I will write to you with a renewed outlook!!

Thanks for reading!

Jenn

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree Jenn! I'm definitely missing our weekly discussions - it was always my favorite part of the week! I have 1 recommendation for you: a book called "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. It's about, "Greg's journey as he goes from a failed attempt to climb Pakistan’s K2, the world’s second highest mountain, to successfully establish schools in some of the most remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan."

    I own the book, but I actually haven't gotten around to reading it yet (university doesn't leave much time for leisure reading) HOWEVER, I have heard from many that it is an incredibly moving and inspiring book.
    Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Krista said, I too don't really have much time for leisure reading (although I don't really make time for academic reading either...hmm, but that's another story!), so I don't have any book suggestions for you right now, but if I hear of any, I will definitely let you know!
    I know it must be hard to make the transition from school life to working/home life, especially when, technically, you're still in school. Even being in the academic environment, I find this term to be so different from last! I, too am missing our weekly discussions, and it makes me regret not making more of the time we did spend together. BUT that just means that we have to relish the times we have coming in the future. We'll make the most of it, and hopefully it will be enough for you to get through until next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tuesdays with Morrie <3. It is my favorite book although I have heard really good things about Three Cups of Tea. I have also heard really good things (it is still sitting untouched in my book shelf though) about Infidel. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I think there's pretty much a consensus...we miss the weekly classes for sure (although those consarned tutorials that overlapped made me miss some of the class anyways). We haven't really seen each other that much though since we've all been yanked everywhere by fundraising and such, so I'm assuming that our class next week will feel like a big reunion. Lots of good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn!

    I also definitely miss seeing everyone, the blogs are amazing and it is good to hear how everyone is doing, but it is not the same!
    That being said, this is something you definitely need to be introduced to:
    "Long way gone"
    http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/long_way_gone_080124_ms.jpg

    Sanja actually read it, and told me all about it, I have it at home. I did not read it yet, but I know she told me so much about it while she was reading it. If you want to read it. Let me know :)
    I will ship it to you!

    Nev ;)

    ReplyDelete